Too Fat to Work
Time to tell my boyfriend to stop looking for a job. No seriously, this family, in the UK claims that they are too fat to work. And Mr. I is way fatter than these people, odd how he has no problem being a productive member of society (when we aren’t in the middle of a huge recession that is. )
They receive over 30k a year in government benefits for various reasons. All, apparently, because they are fat fat fat fatties. Not, because, y’know, they are people who for various reasons have chosen not to work.
The promotions of misconceptions about fat people in this article is RAMPANT. I can’t even comment on them, the best I can do is list it:
- Fat people are too lazy to exercise
- Fat people are sick because of their weight (epilepsy now? What ISN”T caused by Teh Fat0RZ)
- Fat people with disabilities are a burden to society
- Fat people don’t know how to eat properly
All of this sums up to the idea that fat people are a burden on society. What about thin families with disabilites? no comments on them huh?
Though I must say the things they list as disabilities, Type 2 diabetes, asthma, are things that IMHO should not prevent one from working at some jobs. (Obviously not all jobs are suitable for people with issues like that, but there is probably SOMETHING.)
They also perpetuate some ideas about weight losss like,
- Losing weight will fix the problems in their lives
- Losing weight permanently is possible
Have I covered it all? Because.. I don’t really know who to be mad at. The Telegraph for printing this horseshit, this family for allowing social attitudes about fat and disability to prevent them from findign fulfilling productive lives?
The article does do 2 almost productive things:
- Point out how hard it is to eat healthy on a budget (except for the sneering listing of their caloric intake, nice guys, nice.)
- Point out that weight is in fact hereditary (y’know except for the entire tone of the article that makes it seem like they are just useless whiners who could be thin if only they just worked hard enough.)
This article is bad, not just like, poorly written and generally full of horseshit, but it is also bad because it is a big step backward in the movement to make people see fat people differently Since society already thinks that fat people are lazy and eat too much then this article will just further prove that point. To society fat people who eat healthy and exercise and lead fullfilling lives and aren’t sick, these people are the exception. Families like this one are the rule.